Nine out of ten people breathe polluted air; globally, 93 per cent of all children live in environments where air pollution levels are above World Health Organization guidelines. Poor air quality is a grim reality and, unless we action change, we're headed towards a bleak future. We must show the world we care and let our leaders know that we want action to #BeatAirPollution. Face masks do little to protect people from air pollution, but they are a great symbol of how much we want to breathe clean air.
So, from May 24 through to #WorldEnvironmentDay on June 5, ELLE India and the UN Environment Programme are calling on everyone to join our Mask Challenge.
Essentially, the aim is to draw attention to the problem of air pollution by posting an image/video of yourself in a pollution mask on social media, with a statistic on air pollution in addition to a resolution to reduce air pollution. Here is all you need to know if you want to join in:
Phase 1: May 24th - June 4th
1. Take a photo or video of yourself wearing a pollution mask to post on social media.
2. Post an air pollution statistic to let your friends know why they should care about clean air.
3. In your post share the action you’ll take to reduce air pollution.
4. Tag 3 people/organisations/companies and challenge them to do the same!
5. Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment and @ElleIndia.
Phase 2: World Environment Day on June 5
1. Take another photo or video of yourself fulfilling your commitment and post it on social media.
2. Use #WorldEnvironmentDay and #BeatAirPollution in your social media posts and don’t forget to tag @UNEnvironment and @elleindia.
The challenge runs for 11 days; we encourage you to participate and make your voice heard this #WorldEnvironmentDay so we can breathe easy about our future.