The hottest designers from Australia you need to know
Australia knows how to do resort wear
New York fashion is synonymous with sportswear, London with edgy streetwear, Milan with understated opulence and Paris with modern glamour. In contrast, Australia emerges as the torch bearer for resort wear relying extensively on the ideology of endless travel and leisure. A country known for giving the world some of the finest supermodels, it also boasts of reputed labels like Zimmermann (known for their resort wear) and Dion Lee (a NYFW and Hollywood favourite), TRIANGL (swimwear brand) that have now found global presence in fashion arenas worldwide.
We look at five designers (recently showcased at the Victoria Australia Melbourne Fashion Festival) that speak a distinctive language while presenting design philosophies in the contemporary design space.
1. Albus Lumen: Founded by Sydney based ex-stylist Marina Afonina, the name means ‘white-light’ in Latin. Known for her easy, resort-inspired pieces, the designer plays with a monochromatic palette that speaks a subtle language of simplicity. The designs are clean and devoid of fuss and frills, appealing to the sensibilities relevant to Europe’s summer trends.
#ELLELoves: Her designs are perfect for travel. Using lightweight fabrics and minimal details such as lace tie-ups and the absence of fastener, her clothes are easy to get in and out of. Follow her on @albuslumenInvalid slider ID or alias.
2. We Are Kindred: A celebration of sexy feminism, the label was founded in 2013 by sisters Lizzie and Georgie Renkert. Born from the concept that women are beautiful with the purpose of empowering their uniqueness, the line focuses on printed dresses and easy separates with a touch of bohemian sexy—clothes you would want to spend an endless summer in.
#ELLELoves: The brand’s unapologetic take on seventies glamour: think Bianca Jagger holidaying in St.Tropez and you are spot on. Follow the brand on @wearekindred
Invalid slider ID or alias.
3. Sass & Bide: Popularised by the likes of Madonna, Sarah Jessica Parker and Beyonce, this Australian label was founded in 1999 by best friends Sarah Jane Clarke and Heidi Middleton. Drawing inspiration from the works of famous artists around the world, the designers focus on creating trendy, modern pieces with a sexy glamour quotient.
#ELLELoves: The brands leather and denim offerings. Follown on instagram @sassandbide
Invalid slider ID or alias.
4. Toni Maticveski: Launched in 1999 by Melbourne based designer Toni Maticveski who is probably one of Australia’s most celebrated designers. A favourite with Bollywood celebrities, he plays around with sheer fabrics like tulle, chiffon and silks to create red-carpet looks of international appeal.
#ELLELoves: His play of textures and technical attention to details. Follow on instagram @toni_maticveski
5. Dion Lee: Established in 2009 by Sydney based designer Dion Lee, the brand is known for experimental construction combined with traditional tailoring. Architecture and artistic references play a crucial role in his workwear-inspired collection.
#ELLELoves: His twin sets with intricate cut-out details as spotted on Priyanka Chopra. Follow on instagram @dionlee Special thanks to Visit Victoria and Malaysia Airlines.