How to: Build the perfect make-up kit
We tell you where to splurge and where to save when buying the essentials
Buying a make-up kit from scratch? We round up all the essentials you can get without breaking the bank.
1. Inglot False Lash Effect Mascara, Rs 850
2. Bobbi Brown Cool Eye Palette (limited edition), Rs 2,570
INVEST IN: A good eyeshadow palette. One with metallic shades is great as it will help you get a number of day and night looks.
3. The Body Shop Powder Brush, Rs 1,495
TIP: Don’t go overboard spending on tools. If your eyeshadow palette comes with a good line-and-blend brush, all you really need is an all-purpose one. A wide Kabuki is great for buffing on foundation, blush, bronzer and finishing powder.
4. Chambor Intense Nail Colour, Rs 299
5. Lancôme Blush Subtil Palette, Rs 1,950
6. L’Oreal Paris Super Liner Blackbuster, Rs 775
SAVE ON: Mascara and liner. One-off indulgences apart, do you really need to spend so much on something you should definitely toss in six months (or risk eye infections)? With so many great budget alternatives, we’d rather not.
7. Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation, Rs 3,400
INVEST IN: Foundation. There’s no bigger faux pas in make-up than a bad base. Always try it on your face before buying, and keep your skin type (oily, dry) and complexion in mind.
8. Maybelline New York Clean Express Total Clean Eye & Lip Makeup Remover, Rs 275
SAVE ON: A good make-up remover needn’t be expensive, just effective. Buy one that gets all traces of waterproof make-up off.
9. Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Shine ‘Boudoir Baby’, Rs 2,300
Photograph: Manasi Sawant; Product styling: Prashish More; Assisted by: Jahnavi Prasad