No doubt water is the best drink to keep body’s hydration levels right but for its nutritional needs, adding health drinks to your daily routine can be beneficial. With DIY culture gaining popularity, one can make these healthy drinks at home with some ingredients that are easily available in the kitchen. We spoke to a few health and nutritional experts who shared with us their favourite easy-to-make health-drink recipes.
Let’s meet the experts! Dr Rohini Patil is the founder & CEO of Nutracy Lifestyle and has started her own chain of Organic Handcrafted Herbal Tea & Wellness Products. Lovneet Batra is a Delhi-based nutritionist and author of 50 Desi Super Drinks. It is based on balanced and delicious drink recipes that can be made in minutes at home from spices which also boosts your health and immunity. Eshanka Wahi is a Dubai & Delhi-based Wellness Advocate & Nutrition Coach. She recently represented India at the Dubai Expo 2020.
1. Apple Juice For Constipation
- 200gms apples
- 1 tbsp celery leaves
- ½ tsp chopped ginger
- Half-cup water or as needed
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or ground jaggery powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Peel the apples after washing them thoroughly.
- Now chop them into small pieces.
- Roughly chop the celery leaves.
- Chop the ginger after peeling it.
- Add all the chopped ingredients in a blender with rest of the ingredients.
- To reach a desired consistency of the juice, adjust the quantity of water.
- Pour in a glass or mason jar and serve immediately.
Drink this juice on an empty stomach and do not consume anything for 30 minutes. You can also drink the juice 30-45 minutes after the meal.
Apples are high in dietary fibre and also contain pectin, a water-soluble fibre that promote bowel movement. Drinking apple juice can also help relieve digestive discomfort for those who have sensitive bowel movement.
2. Fennel Seed Water For Acid Reflux
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- Boil the fennel seeds in water.
- Let the water sit for 8-10 minutes after turning off the heat.
- Strain and pour the water into a glass and add honey.
- Stir well and drink lukewarm.
Drink the fennel seed water in the morning on an empty stomach or if you are suffering from acidity. Consult your doctors before consuming it if pregnant or lactating.
Fennel seeds have oil which helps to relieve bloating and aids in digestion. They calm down the stomach and reduce the burning sensation due to acidity and help in reducing inflammation. These seeds also have antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. Rich in fibre, the seeds also relieve constipation.
By Eshanka Wahi ( Dubai & Delhi-based Wellness Advocate and Nutrition Coach)
3. Golden Milk For Insomnia
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder,
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp of ashwagandha
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- A pinch of black pepper, date paste (optional)
- Saffron and crushed nuts
In a saucepan, heat 1 cup almond milk on a low flame. Add cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, and Ashwagandha (available as a capsule or fermented). Add turmeric and black pepper, and let it all simmer for 1-2 mins. At this step, you can add the date paste. Top it up with a few strands of saffron and some crushed nuts. Your golden sleep elixir is ready! This drink is completely clean, vegan, sugar-, grain-, gluten-, and dairy-free.
It helps if you want to relax, de-stress, and improve your sleep pattern.
Turmeric has long been used in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine. Rich in manganese, iron, potassium and Vitamin B6 as well as omega-3 fatty acids and fibre, turmeric contains curcumin, a highly potent polyphenol antioxidant which has numerous wellness benefits.
Golden milk is more than just a delicious cup of comfort. Turmeric, ashwagandha, and cinnamon, three key ingredients, make it an antioxidant-rich brew full of curcumin, trimethylene glycol, and cinnamaldehyde, respectively. This milk contains ingredients high in amino acids (such as tryptophan), minerals, and other vital compounds that have been scientifically proven to promote better sleep.
4. Plant-Based Protein Smoothie For Breakfast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 2-3 dates
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp hemp powder
- Vanilla essence
Blend all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender for 30 seconds or until smooth and it’s ready. This smoothie is high in dietary fibre, healthy fats, and protein, as well as being gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and incredibly easy to make!
Smoothies for breakfast should definitely include the fact that they can provide a source of energy as well as protein. Proteins are complex molecules that take longer to break down than carbohydrates, so they provide more energy for a longer period of time.
This smoothie contains a variety of fibre sources, including almond butter, dates, and hemp powder. All of these contain a combination of soluble and insoluble fibre, which keeps your digestive system running smoothly. When your digestion is at its best, your body can eliminate toxins more efficiently.
By Lovneet Batra
5. Jal Jeera For Tiredness/Fatigue
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp powdered cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp amchur powder (raw mango powder)
- 1 tbsp chopped mint and coriander leaves
- Black salt (for taste)
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- Wash the mint and coriander leaves.
- Blend them in a blender with half a cup of water to make a smooth paste.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- It is important to keep jal jeera for a few hours before serving for the flavours to blend.
This drink tastes better when served cold. The health drink helps in treating fatigue, aids digestion and works well for acidity too.
6. Ajwain Gur Kadha For Period Cramps
- 2 tbsp ajwain or carom seeds
- 1 tbsp gur (jaggery)
- 1½ cup water
- In a pan, boil ajwain, gur, and water together.
- Sieve and serve it hot.
A very common spice found in the Indian kitchens, carom seeds can help calm the period cramps. Carom seed oil also works an excellent muscle relaxant.
7. Coco Chia Drink For Hangover
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (soaked)
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ lemon Juice
- 2 sprigs basil or mint leaves
- Combine the chia seeds, lemon juice, and coconut water, mix well, and set aside.
- Crush the basil/mint leaves.
- Mix the drink well and your health drink is ready to be served.
Chia seeds are a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acid, a classic ingredient to lower inflammation and decrease the production of prostaglandins. Coconut water on the other hand provides the required hydration, along with the necessary fluids like potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium.
8. Almond Milk For Natural Skin Glow
- 10 soaked almonds (soaked overnight)
- 1 fig (soaked overnight)
- ½ tbsp dried rose petals
- 2-3 saffron strands (soaked overnight)
Peel the almonds and blend all the ingredients together with rose petals and your glow potion is ready.
Almonds are rich in antioxidants and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. They also rejuvenate the skin and keep it soft and radiating. Almond milk cleanses the skin gently to make it smooth and nourished.
Photos: Pexels, Pinterest